Monday, October 3, 2011

The $50 Grocery Challenge

This is just a quick post to announce a new challenge that I'm taking up for the month of October. Given my restricted budget, I have decided to limit my grocery purchases to $50 for the whole month of October.
**
You see, I have a problem. My hobbies are cooking, baking, and grocery shopping. This fact combined with a tight budget means trouble. We've got trouble, my friends, right here in Spokane, WA, I say trouble right here in Spokane. (Anyone like The Music Man?) However, the funny thing is that people keep giving me leftovers and extra produce. This is great, except that I can only eat so much in one day. And with the current amount of food in my refrigerator, I really shouldn't have to shop at all for the next several months. And my chest freezer is almost full. Yep, already, and I just got the darn thing in July.
**
SO, I am starting the month off on an admittedly good foot. At this rate, I might spend only $10 total for the month anyway (for milk once a week)! But it is my intention to record the groceries I buy and the cost on this blog for the next month. I'm thinking of it as a way to be accountable to you and to myself. Will you help me? Maybe just check in with me, ask if I've resisted the temptation to stop by Fred Meyer on the way home from my childcare job every morning. :o)
**
I am having trouble deciding if this sum includes fruit purchases from Green Bluff for things like jam. Any thoughts?
**
In all seriousness, I do need to be frugal. I will be limiting other purchases, as well, although I don't spend that much money already. It's a good exercise to be frugal, especially when we know that our treasure is stored in heaven. I'm praying that with this challenge in frugality, I can still practice hospitality and generosity. Join me on this month-long journey. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that is super difficult - and admirable! I think if anyone, you can rise to the challenge of frugality. Although it's so hard to do with food. But with your freezer, hopefully do-able! Your question about fruit for jam is a very good one. On the one hand, it is so easy to spend a lot of money at farms, though Green Bluff is always so reasonable. However, as it would be an investment to pay off for longer than the month in question, it might be worth a separate category of stockpile foods. :) Part of the difficulty I have is just plain getting used to the concept of paying money for fruit and veg. Growing up in a Pastor's family in a small farming community, we were never too far from gifts of apples, pears, zucchini, corn... It is sad to have to buy them these days.

    ReplyDelete